Sunday, April 12, 2009

Raw on the Go

This weekend we are headed southbound for a two week multi-destination trip. We are visiting friends in two cities, going to the beach, camping, and hiking. As much as I enjoy travelling, eating healthy can be a challenge, especially during those long road trips where food choices are limited so this week I will be busy preparing our own convenience foods to keep us going.

What am I making? Let's see... last night I made cauliflower pickles (our family is in love with those!).

The dehydrator will be going 24/7 until we hit the road. I started with a big batch of soaked almonds last night. This morning I just spread out some raw apple bars. The apple bars can also be eaten fresh as a cake, which is what I made for Liam's first birthday last year. We love it so much around here I thought I'd try it as a dried energy bar. Throughout the week I will be dehydrating summer squash, kale chips, brussel sprouts, sesame flax crackers, and apricot almond cookies. We are also taking Pat's excellent Grawnola. So we are set for munchies.

Of course you can't have all these crunchy dried snacks without spreads! I will be making sun dried tomato tapenade, spinach dip, and almond butter (with those soaked and dried almonds).

The night before we leave I will prepare fresh fruit and veggie juices, make almond milk, and mix up a batch of water kefir with lemon, ginger, honey, wheatgrass, spirulina, and chlorella.

The rest will be fresh fruits and veggies which I am thinking should be pretty easy to find in Florida. One of my friends lives right down the street from an orange grove so hopefully we will get to pick a few right off the tree!

2 comments:

  1. How lucky Liam and Anatoly are! I didn't have time to put this kind of planning into my last roadtrip to Mississippi to see a sick relative of my husband's and we were completely at the mercy of food on the road. It is not easy nor pretty out there, especially on the road! I literally got sick and have decided NEVER AGAIN! The effort is well worth it!

    Have a great time...and grab a few oranges for me. Maybe you can visit the weedman ;o) I'd love to meet that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like you are going to be set! can i come too? lol i do very well with taking dishes into the car with me for the endless carpooling i do with kids but extended trips can be a challenge. i was just thinking of this summer and several weeks that i'll be away and this blog has laid out awesome planning as a example of what CAN be done. THNX Barbara!

    ReplyDelete